In The GOD-Centered Homeschool, I mention nine benefits our children receive by reading good Christian biography:
1. Good Christian biographies teach our children that God can do great things through ordinary people.
2. Good Christian biographies teach our children that even the godliest men and women of the past were still sinners who found their greatness in depending upon God’s grace.
3. Good Christian biographies call our children to repentance, convicting them of their own wrong attitudes or behaviors as they see them mirrored in the lives of others.
4. Good Christian biographies highlight the greatness of the breadth and depth of God’s mercy towards all kinds of people.
5. Good Christian biographies serve as testimonies to God’s faithfulness to His promises.
6. Good Christian biographies help guard our children against overly-triumphalistic views of the Christian life.
7. Good Christian biographies remind our children that our actions really do have consequences.
8. Good Christian biographies prepare our children to live well and die well.
9. Good Christian biographies lead our children to worship God for His work in the lives of others.
Among the biographies Crystal and I recommend are the Lightkeepers books by Irene Howat. These books are filled with 10-12 page stories of Christians who made hard decisions and accomplished great things for Christ. Most importantly, these stories are gospel-centric; the emphasis is on God Himself and the grace found in Jesus Christ. We have boys, so we have used the Lightkeepers Boys Box Set. The books in the set include:
Ten Boys Who Changed the World
Ten Boys Who Didn’t Give In
Ten Boys Who Made a Difference
Ten Boys Who Made History
Ten Boys Who Used Their Talents.
There is also a Lightkeepers Girls Box Set. The books in that set (corresponding with the boys’ set) include:
Ten Girls Who Changed the World
Ten Girls Who Didn’t Give In
Ten Girls Who Made a Difference
Ten Girls Who Made History
Ten Girls Who Used Their Talents.